I was looking for alternatives to the standard cart filler for my 901s. I mostly use Tanks or clearos, but I have occasionally been using the 901 attys and carts on my SD while at home. What can I say? I like my variety
Tried the spring mod and aquarium foam, had issues with both through multiple attempts. Then I found this method and thought I'd give it a try
So far it's worked great. No leaks or flooding of the atty, flavor is coming through nice and clean
Obviously, I can't take credit for the mod itself, as I found the instructions elsewhere, but I made a couple slight modifications that I feel improved it a little bit
So here's a little step-by-step, forgive the poor quality of some of the photos, they didn't all come out great.
Cut a strip of kitchen aluminum foil to the dimensions listed below for your type of cart:
901 - 16mm wide by 9cm long
510 - 17mm wide by 11cm long
the strip in the photo is 10cm. I took the photos before fine-tuning this dimension and this will probably work with even shorter strips, as well, but these lengths worked well for me so far. I might try shortening a little more and see how it works next time.
The width of the strip is the more critical dimension, as the listed width above will leave the top of the foil mod about a millimeter below the top of the cart once inserted. The original instructions called for making it so that it's flush with the top of the cart. Recessing it a little makes room for the atty bridge so that it doesn't crush the foil so far out of shape when the cart is inserted into the atty (this caused an issue with juice flow on my first attempt, hence the modification)
Loosely roll the strip. I used an atty for this, but you can use a battery also. The diameter of this roll doesn't really matter.
Flatten the foil roll
Cut slits in the foil sheet to resemble a broom, as many as you can manage
Unfold the foil (kinda like making a string of paper dolls with these steps
Here's where I made the biggest change to the original idea. I cut away a small strip along the bottom of the broom to make more room for juice in the body of the cart. I got an extra 2 or 3 drops in by doing this when compared to not cutting away this part.
Now roll this strip up loosely
around a toothpick. I like to do it with two toothpicks, starting around one then adding a second and rolling around both. I just find it easier to roll it up neatly this way
Fluff the "bristles" of the broom a little by hand and insert into the cart bristles facing out. It should be a fairly loose fit. If it's tight, unroll it a little bit and trim some off of the strip (I wound up cutting the pictured one down by 1cm when I got done)
Fill it up right to the top of the cart, don't worry about overfilling it, the surface tension of the liquid will keep it from dripping off of the foil broom. I got 14 drops from a dropper bottle into this cart, so the foil is actually taking up less space than I thought it would.
Like I said, this mod seems to be working pretty well for me right now, so I thought I'd share for those who haven't come across it before