TW Patriot Range Kiwi (18mg) September 2010
Normally when a juice sample arrives in order for me to review, it’s usually a case of (almost immediately) out with a fresh or clean atty, charged-up battery etc and off we go – and to spend a couple of days getting to know the new liquid. Not so with the Kiwi. Why? Well, I have to admit that I’d never actually tried the fruit before so I thought it was a good idea to hold-fire, add it to the grocery list, try the real thing first and then see what the PR Kiwi had to offer.
No expense spared for this review, you know
. In the line of duty not only did I resist the temptation of buying just one fruit, I really pushed the boat out, went crazy and purchased two of the little critters – a whole 60 pence these cost me, darn it.
Strange looking things – a couple of inches in diameter and weighing around 4oz each, with a hairy brown/green coloured skin. Hmm….
OK mastermind, you’ve gotten them home – how are you going to eat them? Good question. Do I wash them first and then eat them like an apple – skin as well? Do I peel them first and then eat them like a tangerine? Gawd knows – tell you what, let’s live dangerously and take a sharp knife to one of them, cut it right down the middle and see what’s inside. This I did and the fruit revealed a gorgeous-looking green flesh with some white pulp in the middle which was surrounded by small black seeds. Oh, it’s one of those – I know what these are
. I’ve seen some folks scooping out the innards with a small spoon.
Of course, I got stuck in and it was delightful. A lovely slightly tangy taste which was quickly taken over by some sweetness – not too dissimilar from melon-like fruits I’ve had in the past, but the kiwi definitely has more consistency. Really refreshing and yummy though and certainly something to revisit sooner rather than later. So, research all done, how did the PR Kiwi compare to the fruit I enjoyed?.... Equipment
– 510 cleaned standard atomiser, 650mAh manual Tornado battery, direct-drip method using a long metal tip. (Also briefly; 901 cleaned standard atomiser, 380mAh manual battery, direct-drip method using a nylon tip)Colour of liquid
– ClearSmell of liquid
– Hint of fresh melon / kiwi / berry type fruit – hard to distinguishFlavour / Taste
– From the beginning I wasn’t getting an awful lot a flavour from this juice but, that said, what I was getting was the sense of something a bit refreshing. Even spending some time on the 901 didn’t yield any more in terms of taste really, nothing to tell it apart from the 510 anyway so back it was to the original kit.
Eventually after a struggle, I noticed a kiwi (or even melon) taste coming through right at the front of the mouth – behind the front teeth and towards the top of the gums, and it was at that point the flavour then shifted itself towards the back part of the mouth - but it didn’t last for long, and it wasn’t particularly strong. A nasal exhale was not that beneficial either. .
The mouth does seem to get a slight tangy feel though, especially the tongue which does become a tad dry when vaping this for long(ish) periods. This dryness eventually spreads all over but without feeling that sickly. Hmm, it does lack a degree (or six) of flavour I’m afraid…… 4/10 Throat Hit
– Mostly, there’s little in the way of throat-hit – you do notice something going on at the back of the throat from time to time which spreads its way down to the top of the chest but it’s a bit on the low-side even for an 18mg……. 6/10Vapour Content
– Now, this is better – a lot better. The vapour category is where I’m at my fiercest ant I’m pleased (relieved) to say that this juice produces excellent amounts of vapour, which linger around for a fair while. Not quite in my ‘cubic yard league’ but still a good job nonetheless….. 8.5/10 In Summary
– How I wanted for this liquid to be up there amongst the favourites I’ve tried thus far. If only the flavour had more going for it – for sure it needs to go up a notch or two in that department. Mind you, it’s not a total write-off though as, in its present form, I could use this as a very “first thing in the morning” vape due to its lack of throat-hit but bags of vapour.
To be honest, I’m now intrigued enough to find out what the 36mg variant has to give. Should be interesting…… 6.17/10
Happy vaping everyone…..